Wednesday, February 16, 2011

GFW & Rocket in Our Town Magazine

Scanning the magazine racks at the grocery store yesterday I noticed something special in the local section.

Grab the Spring 2011 issue of Our Town magazine to see the article on Gainesville Fashion Week and their sub-organization Rocket for the Arts.

GFW in Our Town Magazine

Click here to read the article or grab your copy on newsstands now!

This season GFW, LLC launches the non-profit that was created to foster youth art education and more quality art programs in Alachua County.

As I mentioned in the article, I remember that moment when I knew I wanted to make this "media thing" a career - but I'll take it a step further.

I went to school in the West Indies where I did it all: painting in watercolors and acrylics, graphic design with tracings from a light box and guache paints, sketches in charcoal, pastels and ink, ceramics, woodwork, sewing, and pottery. You name it, I was there!

But, there was a defining moment when I made the switch to digital...and ultimately broadcasting and that one teacher (who funny enough was my history teacher/drama teacher/local morning show radio personality) that really pushed my interest.

Here we are, a little more than a decade later. I don't use my hands as much as I'd like..but I still remember our conversations and the classes from my great line up of teachers.

I think an Art Education, in any form, is so important to developing your personality.

We hope that you feel as strongly and make plans to attend the Rocket for the Arts Black Tie Gala on Friday April 9th benefiting the organization with dinner, dancing, a silent auction and a night of great conversation.

~melanie.

No comments:

Post a Comment